GHOST book 1: Too Preachy?

WayneThomasBatson
Administrator
Hi, all! GHOST book 1 has been out for a couple of years now and, while the reviews are mostly positive, I'm noticing a lot of negative reviews have the same theme: Ghost's anti-abortion message is too strong. Serving God in any way invites criticism from the world—we all know that. But, there is also some truth to balancing message with the art. You can't just throw God's message into a crappy book. The story must be of the highest quality. So, I'm wondering, if I overstepped in GHOST? Was there enough good story to carry the message? Or did I get carried away by the message and neglect the story? Thoughts?

Re: GHOST book 1: Too Preachy?

Fabist Gondesteign
Having just reread the book in the fall of 2016, the message on abortion is relatively fresh. As I recall, John Spector was infuriated by recent circumstances and was driving around to cool his head. It was at this point in time that he saw the abortion clinic. All the righteous fire within him turned toward the clinic and he saw the demons bothering the "marked" woman. Immediately, he set about to save her, which begged the attention of the demon stronghold which was within the abortion clinic. The reason for which he so recklessly attacked the clinic was because he knew that he had attracted their attention when saving the woman from the temporary torment. I do believe that while the message began at this point, it was necessarily wrapped within the main story line. Yes, the message may be strong, but I think that that had to be a point for the book, as the villains centered their crimes around spreading that message.

In any case, I personally applaud your willingness to speak the truth, in love--as we see by John Spector's response to Agent Rezvanni. I do believe that, as a Christian author, your target audience is primarily a Christian one, although you would love to draw unbelievers into reading your books. As Brother in Christ who is older than many of your readers, I believe that part of your responsibility as a Christian author is to mentor your siblings in Christ through sound teaching woven in and throughout your books. What you believe to be the truth about abortion is clearly seen throughout this book; and, maybe because I agree with your stance on the subject, I think that you presented the truth in love for your readers to see. The topic is one that will cause much disagreement, even among believers, but it is the responsibility of every believer to "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and  doctrine" (KJV II Tim. 4:2)

Thank you for your faithfulness throughout the years in keeping our LORD the focus and the life-source of your writing!
                     Sincerely, Fabist Gondesteign